Our coalition, www.wecantafforditpa.org, was created in January, 2011 by Pennsylvanians who are committed to stopping the corporate takeover of the Commonwealth’s liquor control system. The state’s current system works for all Pennsylvanians, properly managing the sale of wine and spirits and returning more than $500 million a year to the state treasury – after all expenses are paid.
- PA ranks near the bottom of all 50 states in deaths due to alcohol-related illnesses.
- PA ranks near the top of all 50 states in total revenue generated by the sale of wine and spirits.
- The current system delivers and should not be broken up to benefit big retail and big liquor.
We Can’t Afford it PA represents first responders, public health advocates, members of our Commonwealth’s faith community concerned about the potential for un-regulated sale of wine and spirits. We represent neighborhood advocates concerned about the proliferation of convenience stores selling liquor. Our coalition includes members of organized labor from across the state in virtually every industry, concerned about the loss of 4,500 family-sustaining jobs.
Supporters of our efforts to block privatization include:
- The Pennsylvania DUI Association
- Pennsylvania Students Against Destructive Decisions (SADD)
- The Council of Islamic Organisations of Pennsylvania
- The NAACP of Pennsylvania
- The Philadelphia Unemployment Project
- The PA Association of Staff Nurses and Allied Professionals
- Pittsburgh Interfaith Impact Network
To join, CLICK HERE.
To access background materials on this issue and the misguided legislation now pending in the General Assembly, CLICK HERE.